Reimagine your experience
with the EHR
Facilitating personalized, value-driven, and patient-centered care
The latest in shared solutions for improving patient care and the provider experience.
Identifies individuals at risk for early onset familial cancers and offer personalized screening services via automated chatbot outreach
– Live at UHealth and NYU Langone
– Funded through an NIH grant
– Enables individualized shared decision making for lung cancer screening
– Live at University of Utah Health
– Finalist in HL7/AMIA FHIR Applications Showcase
– Funded through an AHRQ grant
Neonatal Bilirubin App
– Supports neonatal bilirubin management to prevent neurotoxicity
– Key outcomes summarized in JAMA Open paper:
– Attending providers: “best imaginable” usability
– 3-fold reduction in provider time required
– 84% increase in odds of clinically appropriate phototherapy
– Multiple awards, including First Place in HL7/AMIA FHIR Applications Showcase
Pediatric Patient Summary
– Supports the care of children with complex healthcare needs
– Retrieves, filters, and summarizes patient information from multiple health systems and EHRs into an intelligent information display
– Funded by a HITECH grant from the CMS and Utah Medicaid
– Publication: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/147/3_MeetingAbstract/8
– Finalist in HL7/AMIA FHIR Applications Showcase
– Enables seamless integration of medical calculations within clinical workflows
– MDCalc: leading medical calculation tool
– > 2 million monthly users from > 200 countries and territories
– 50+ specialties, 200+ conditions
– Second Place in HL7/AMIA FHIR Applications Showcase
– Available in the Epic App Orchard
Diabetes Pharmacotherapy Outcome Predictor
– Leverages Big Data analytics to support diabetes pharmacotherapy
– Collaboration with Hitachi, Ltd. Data Science team
– Prediction models developed with high performance (area under the curve 87%)
– In clinical use
– Details in Methods of Information in Medicine
The ReImagine EHR initiative is supported by University of Utah Health, corporate partnerships, and >$35 million in research support from agencies including the NIH, AHRQ, PCORI, CDC, and CMS. Below are a representative sample of ReImagine EHR projects supported by research grants.
Supporting closed-loop surgical referrals with a SMART on FHIR dashboard
To implement a surgical referral SMART on FHIR dashboard that allows providers from different specialties to share a mental model of patient care and support surgical care transitions between the inpatient and outpatient settings.
Scalable decision support and shared decision making for lung cancer screening
To increase appropriate lung cancer computed tomography screening through the development and wide dissemination of EHR-integrated clinical decision support tools, including a SMART on FHIR shared decision making app for lung cancer screening.
Scalable clinical decision support for individualized cancer risk management
To develop a standards-based population health management platform, with a focus on identifying, engaging, and managing patients who meet evidence-based criteria for genetic testing of familial breast and colorectal cancer. Standards used include FHIR and CDS Hooks.
Leveraging an electronic medical record infrastructure to identify primary care patients eligible for genetic testing for hereditary cancer and evaluate novel cancer genetics service delivery models
To leverage the standards-based population health management platform described above to compare two approaches for delivering genetic counseling and testing for hereditary cancer to primary care patients: standard of care for genetic services or a self-directed approach assisted by an automated chatbot that provides education and explanation of results.
Enabling shared decision making to reduce harm from drug interactions: an end to end demonstration
To enable scalable shared decision-making dashboards that graphically communicate risks and decision options related to potential drug-drug interactions. Standards used include SMART on FHIR, CDS Hooks, and the Clinical Quality Language.
Community-academic partnership to address COVID-19 among Utah community health centers
To use multi-level CDS interventions (standardized symptom screening in the EHR, text messaging outreach to patients, and patient navigation) to increase the uptake of COVID-19 testing and immunization among underserved populations in community health centers throughout Utah.
Clinical health information exchange-based shared-care collaborative patient summary
To design, develop and implement a SMART on FHIR patient summary dashboard that integrates information from across healthcare systems through a statewide health information exchange to support the care of children with special healthcare needs.
Clinical decision support system to optimize disease management
To develop a standards-based, EHR-integrated diabetes management dashboard with predictive analytics about best treatment options and likely outcomes; and to conduct a clinical trial to evaluate the system’s impact. Standards used include SMART on FHIR and CDS Hooks.
Join us at our upcoming events
U of U Post Loop Widget: No Internal Posts Found.
If you would like to be notified of upcoming ReImagine EHR events, please let us know by contacting us.
Department of Biomedical Informatics
See how the University of Utah is leveraging the evolution of EHRs into platforms for third-party innovations.
Want to know more?
Contact us for more information about ReImagine EHR and Biomedical Informatics at the University of Utah.